October 27, 2022 Council Synopsis of Minutes
Funeral and Cremation Services Council of Saskatchewan
Thursday, October 27, 2022
Synopsis of Minutes
Present: Dustin Hall, Chairperson; Amanda Starosta, Vice-Chairperson; Shannon Leson; Lisa Bos-Atchison; Don Sheppard; Mark Muir; Scott Moffat; Robert Volk; Nancy Kirk; Denny
Huyghebaert, Deputy Superintendent of Funeral and Cremation Services
Present by Zoom: Gay Patrick
Guests by Zoom: 9:05 a.m. – eHealth:
- Jennifer Lindenbach, Registrar for Health Registries
- Charene Kozak, Deputy Registrar, Health Registries;
- Andrew Smith, Project Manager, Electronic Death Registration and Notification;
- Jennifer Reddick, Senior Business Analyst, Electronic Death Registration and Notification and Vital Statistics Office;
- Chris Clark, Change Management and Communications Consultant, Electronic Death Registration and Notification
9:40 a.m. – MAID:
- Janine Brown, Assistant Professor, Associate Dean (Faculty Affairs), Faculty of Nursing, University of Regina;
- Nuella Novik, Instructor at the University of Regina
Staff Present: Tanya Chernick-Aldridge, Office Administrator; Kim Eberts, Assistant Registrar and Compliance Officer; Colin Bachynski, Registrar
Minutes taken by: Tanya Chernick-Aldridge, Office Administrator
After a series of presentations, an in-camera meeting was held.
Council was advised that there has been one complaint received since the last meeting of Council. One complaint was resolved between the parties with the assistance of the Assistant Registrar and Compliance Officer and one complaint was dismissed on preliminary evaluation. One previous investigation has been concluded via ADR and there are currently five matters sitting before Investigation Committees. There has been one compliance review conducted since the last meeting of Council.
The following motions were passed by Council:
- Having completed a detailed review of this Council’s regulatory role vs. an Association or advocacy role and after extensive consultation with the industry the motion to establish a new category for a retired funeral director being granted a Life Time license is denied.
- Accept the 2022/2023 Committees of Council as presented.
- Accept the following bylaw revisions:
- 1000 – Definitions
- 2010 – Code of Ethics
- 2014 – Professional Development
- 2019 – Students
- 2020 – CCFS Students
- 2021 – Conditional Licenses – Intern
- 2022 – Obligation to Interns, CCFS Students and Students
- 2023 – Deleted
- 2050 – Salespersons
- 2080 – Regulatory Fees
- 4010 – Signing Officers
- 4100 – Remuneration of the Council and Committees of Council
- 4105 – Remuneration of Mentors
- Accept the following Form revisions:
- Form 6 – Fully Guaranteed Contract
- Form 7 – Deposit Contract
- Accept the revisions to the following policy and procedures:
- 2006-05 – Preliminary Evaluation – Motion by Council
- 2007-11 – Reporting of Unethical Behavior of Council
- 2009-12 – Communication Strategy
- 2009-17 – Pandemic/Disaster Recovery Plan
- 2017-18 – Handling of Sensitive Documents
- Accept the August 2022 Revenue & Expense Reports as presented.
The next scheduled meeting of Council will be held on Wednesday, November 16th, 2022
In the interest of timely disclosure, this synopsis of Council Minutes is posted for your information only. This is a summary only and is not to be used in place of the office version. Official Council Minutes are not created until the transcript of the minutes is reviewed and adopted by Council at a subsequent monthly meeting. To inquire into any matter arising from this summary, please contact the Registrar.