March 29, 2018 Council Synopsis of Minutes
Funeral and Cremation Services Council of Saskatchewan
Thursday, March 29, 2018
Synopsis of Minutes
Present: Shannon Leson, Chairperson; Nancy Kirk; Robert Volk; Jeff Weafer; Lyle Burkell; Agnes Ewen; Eleanor Shumay; Chrystal Armstrong; Denny Huyghebaert, Deputy Superintendent of Funeral & Cremation Services; Sandy Mahon, Registrar
Teleconference: Gloria Malinoski, Vice-Chairperson
Minutes taken by: Tanya Chernick-Aldridge
Council was advised no complaints have been received since the last meeting of Council. One complaint has been referred to a Discipline Committee and two previous complaints have been referred to an Investigation Committee. Ten compliance reviews have been conducted to date.
A motion was passed for the Resource & Compliance Officer to visit each crematorium and review a sample of Form 50’s for the preceding 12 months to ensure compliance.
Council was advised of the death statistics of 2017:
- 9474 Deaths
- 3165 Burials
- 6306 Cremations (66%)
- 3 Other
Council was advised the Registrar has been invited as a panelist to discuss our cremation legislation at the Cremation Association of North America (CANA) conference in July 2018.
Motions were passed to approve bylaw and form revisions as presented:
- 2012 – License Reinstatement
- 2014 – Professional Development
- 2020 – Registration for Students
- 2030 – Licensing Procedures – Embalmer, Funeral Director and Salesperson Practicing Licenses
- 2040 – Licensing Procedures – Owners
- 2050 – Licensing Procedures – Salespersons
- 8040 – Cremation Documentation – DELETED
- 8090 – Cremation Forms
- 9000 – Schedule of Fees
- 21 – License Application for a Conditional License
- 23 – Student Crematorium Technician Registration
- 24 – Student Salesperson’s Registration Application
- 30 – License Application for a Practicing License
- 31 – License Application for an Individual Currently Licensed in Another Jurisdiction
- 40 – License Application for an Owner’s License for a Funeral Home
- 41 – License Application for an Owner’s License for a Crematorium
- 42 – License Application for an Owner’s License for a Transfer Service
- 50 – Authorization to Cremate and Order for Disposition
- 50B – Authorization to Cremate by Alkaline Hydrolysis and Order for Disposition
- 61 – Regulatory Fee Remittance Form
A motion was passed to accept the February 2018 Revenue & Expense Reports as presented.
A motion was passed to proceed with some urgency in relation to reviewing the PTSD and Compassion Fatigue issues in the profession.
The next meetings of Council will be April 25th, & 26th, 2018.
In the interest of timely disclosure, this synopsis of Council Minutes is posted for your information only. This is a summary only and is not to be used in place of the office version. Official Council Minutes are not created until the transcript of the minutes is reviewed and adopted by Council at a subsequent monthly meeting. To inquire into any matter arising from this summary, please contact the Registrar.